Thursday, June 23, 2005

L'ufficio uggetti smarriti

Malpensa airport is not overrun with gypsy thieves as some travel guides had suggested. It was here that I made my first attempts at speaking Italian, to ask where the lost baggage office was. As my Italian phrase book suggested, I asked someone, "Sa dove l'ufficio oggetti smarriti?" They had no idea. Or they didn't speak Italian. Or, most likely, *I* didn't. Anyhow, I found the office on my own, and fortunately the people there spoke English. I would come to find nearly everyone at the airport spoke English, but I kept trying my Italian out when asking for simple things or just to say 'grazzie'. The woman behind the counter and I did have to do a bit of charades and repetition to get our point across, but the resulting story was that my suitcase, in all likelihood, would arrive the next day. She surprised me when she said they would deliver it to my hotel. Still, I was concerned I would be spending the next few months living with only the things that were in my carry-on.

I went from there to an ATM where, for the first time in my life, I used my bank card to withdraw foreign currency - a request for 150 euros produced three 50 euro bills. I walked out of the airport and found a group of taxi drivers leaning on one of their cabs talking to one another. Not nearly as aggressive as other airports. I asked if anyone could take me to Somma Lombardo, to the Hotel Tre Leoni. One of them unenthusiastically took my bag and loaded it into his cab, a small white station wagon like most Italian taxis. Somma Lombardo is only about 4 km from the airport, but that was a long enough ride to discover the excitement of Italian roadways. Motorbikes and mopeds are as common as cars, and they weave in and out of traffic at will, often passing between to cars on the freeway by driving straight down the dividing line.

My hosts at Tre Leoni were very kind, but their English ranged from very limited to none at all. The reservation I had made online helped get past the initial paperwork. After that, whenever I wanted to do anything, like order food at a restaurant, I had to study my Italian dictionary a bit first. I was soon able to pronounce the words more correctly and get done what I needed.

But, I'm running way behind in my journal, (I'm actually typing this in Damascus), so I will have to skip the Italy part and save those stories for when I get home. Long story short, my luggage reappeared and I had a great time. I took lots of pictures, hopefully they come out ok. Next installment, Damascus.

3 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A shared snare hosting advantage or understood hosting worship army or derive tummler refers to a web hosting checking where various websites reside on harmonious snare server connected to the Internet. Each placement "sits" on its own split-up, or section/place on the server, to maintain it discriminate from other sites. This is generally the most stingy option owing hosting, as diverse people share the inclusive expenditure of server maintenance.
[url=http://hostinghouse.pl]hosting[/url]

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

|
|
|

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.squidoo.com/saclongchampa]longchamp soldes[/url] I bought a couple of these dry bags for the stern compartment of my Current Designs Caribou S. My Caribou has a skeg box in back, so the two tapered dry bags are ideal for wedging in on either side of that. I toss Choose Cheap Mulberry Hand Clipper Bag Brown for Men,With 100% Authentic Mulberry Handbags Sale You Can't Miss. an extra gas canister and an old Thermarest + Compack Chair all the way astern, then lay these in up against the sides of the skeg box.
[url=http://longchampbagsd.urbanblog.dk/]sac longchamp moins cher[/url] An easy form of exercise that won't wake the house up is to get out for a walk or a jog. Have your clothes ready and laid out along with your sneakers. That way you save time, and are more likely to go ahead with your session. There are multivariate uses for Fb ads and account through Fb's commercial action they are adequately allowing in agreement of content. So about any artefact or account on the Internet could be assisted through their targeted cartage generated through Fb ads. Anyone searching to accomplish abundant leads and endless of cartage 2013 Spring Mulberry Women's Bayswater Leather Ostrich Shoulder Purple Bag, and we will offer more discounts on them, there is no doubt that they are good quality. to their website should analysis out this amazing artefact that could actualize a gold blitz of sales.
[url=http://longchampmoinse.bloguez.com/]sac longchamp[/url] Those who plan for overseas travel usually bring a lot of cash with them. However, this step is unwise; traveler's checks and credit cards should be brought instead. We can avoid the inconvenience of a lost or stolen passport by preparing in advance. The latest Ray-ban eyeglasses are available at all reputed dealers. Ray ban eyeglass frames are also marketed through eye ware stores online, where you can choose the perfect frames while sitting at home, without feeling rushed or pressured. Through online stores, you can easily select the desired eyewear you wish to buy and also get the detailed information about the materials used in the manufacturing, colors and various other specifications... Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Trust Pansonic to hedge its bets and take the best parts of a regular digicam and fuse them to the best parts of a digital SLR to create the world first micro four-thirds camera. What that means is that this camera ditches the SLR mirror prism Covetable Mulberry Outlet Medium Alexa Leather Satchel Light Coffee Bag supply cheap and is save up to 80% off for refracting light, but keeps the SLR-sized sensor. Functionally, that means a live viewfinder clocking in at a ridiculous 1.4-million pixels, and a 12.1-megapixel, live MOS sensor, which all make the camera significantly lighter and thinner than the competition (0.85 pounds and 0.78 inches), while still boosting quality..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home