Friday, August 05, 2005

Jihad against the word jihad

Its a standing on a soapbox rambling meandinering rant kind of day, very different than my usual post.

Somebody recently sent me this article about how anti-western muslim terrorists are well-educated people who have had opportunites in life, as opposed to the vision that they are lashing out as a result of their lives under oppressive authoritarian regimes. I agree with most of what this article says, and I'm glad my friend was interested enough in it to share it. But it has reminded me that there is a real problem with how the word 'jihad' has come to have one meaning in English and western media while it has a broader, different meaning in Arabic. It drives me nuts when I hear a news anchor say "... a jihad, or holy war, ...". The word has a common meaning of struggle or effort, but the Arabic word has made its way into English with the meaning of "holy war against the West by radical muslim fundamentalists". This article provides an example of this, as David Brooks uses the words "terrorists" and "jihadists" interchangably.

This point sticks with me because nearly every instructor of Arabic I've had has at some point taken time during a class to go on a tangent about how 'jihad' does not mean 'holy war'. I think it is an important point, too, because language influences thought. If we think that there is a built-in provision in Islam for launching a war against your enemies and that it even has its own unique name, we get a much more frightening, violent image of Islam. Every serious muslim I have met here has rushed to make the point that Islam is a peaceful religion and those who act violently in the name of Islam have a twisted and incorrect interpretation of the religion. I hope to spread this idea because I do know people who equate Islam with violence, and ultimately this way of thinking is itself a barrier to peace.

David Brooks suggests this point in his article. If we want a successful policy for change in the Middle East, for democratization and economic liberalization and against destabilizing terrorist organizations, we must think of terrorists, whether they be radical fundamentalists or otherwise, as anomalies on the fringes of their own societies, with a way of thought that is not in accordance with the vast majority of their fellow countrymen.

Syria seems to be particularly lacking in extremist nut jobs. Of the many people I've met and talked to here, of various religions and ethnicities, I have only met one who didn't like Americans. And that was a taxi driver who was upset that he wasn't able to rip me off for about five times what the fare was worth. Everyone else, including the taxi drivers, has been very nice.

With that I step off the soapbox.

5 Comments:

At 10:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good point Brian. I thought that the article's title with the word "Cricket" in it would get peoples attention. Todays DishRag printed this article but used a different title (perhaps to avoid a lawsuit from Crickette (HA)). Anyways, I hope that the article, in conjunction with your plea, has educated somebody (anybody?).
LAter,
Bill

 
At 3:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome blog Brian. I got the address from our 205 teacher. I read your entire blog chronologically from beginning to end and it has gotten me pretty darn excited about my trip. I will email you details. Great blog once again. I look forward to reading each entry. Best wishes!

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brian, very interesting observations about the word "Jihad". Here in France, the press has been using it for the last 15 years in all kinds of context, but more often without context. It ended up being the de facto interpretation for every conflictual event involving people from the "us" camp and people from the "them" camp.

Most journalists really need a deeper understanding of where "jihaad" is really relevant, of when it just means "struggle" and when it is given a religious dimension, but first of all they need to learn how to pronounce the word.

On a lighter note, Jihad Al-Khazen from Al-Hayat said in a number of his articles that he tries to avoid introducing himself to the passenger in the next seat on an airplane lest they freak out when they hear his first name.

 
At 3:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you can do it Brian--check out the Fred Anderle from yesterday (8/15) when it comes up in the WOSU archives.

I didn't hear it all but got to witness at least one columbus bumpkin vs. islamic scholar showdown.

 
At 10:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

can't find your email but wanted to let you know about

www.creativesyria.com

cheers!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home